Chipotle sweet potato & black bean stew with cheddar dumplings
Enjoy this filling sweet potato and black bean stew as a budget-friendly midweek meal. Served with moreish cheddar dumplings, it’s great for feeding a crowd
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 250g bag diced butternut squash and sweet potato
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans chilli black beans or chilli kidney beans
- 3 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 125g self-raising flour
- 60g unsalted butter, cubed
- 70g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 large green jalapeño, finely sliced (optional)
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 7 mins until softened.
- Tip in the squash and sweet potato and fry for a few minutes before adding the tomatoes, beans and 250ml water. Stir through the chipotle paste and season to taste.
- Pop a lid on the dish and gently simmer over a low to medium heat for 25 mins or until reduced and the sweet potato is soft.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the flour with ½ tsp salt. Add the butter and rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheddar then quickly mix in 4 tbsp cold water. Roll the mixture into eight balls.
- Put the dumplings on top of the stew and place, uncovered, in the oven for 15-20 mins, or until puffed up and light golden brown. Serve the stew with the sliced jalapeño scattered on top, if you like.